Saturday, May 03, 2008

How To Network Without Thinking About It

So, today is a symposium for local Pacific Northwest medical writers and editors. I'm taking my business cards and hoping to collect a few job ops while I'm there.

But I hate overt networking, you know walking up to someone and immediately jumping into "what can you do for me?" because that just really sucks.

I prefer social networking. Chatting over snacks or at lunch about issues we face in the medical writing/editing world and trying to help others find a solution. This has worked for me many times in the past, not only in getting work, but more importantly, in meeting and solidifying business relationships. The medical publishing world is quite small in actuality and it's good to know as many as you can. Again, not only for work, but for wise counsel and helpful resources.

Currently reading: symposium schedule
Currently listening to: Seth Godin audiobook

No comments: