Thursday, February 28, 2008

The End of An Era

If you've read this blog for long, you know I have emphatic opinions. One of my most emphatic opinions is on free-market economies (thanks to years of watching people debate Keynesian theory versus the theories of von Hayek and the Chicago school).

We lost a great thinker in that field yesterday: William F. Buckley, Jr.

I'm proud to say I proofed one of his books about five years ago and have been in awe of him ever since. He was a great thinker, a great American, and even if you don't agree with free-market economic policy or his other more enigmatic beliefs, you have to admire the guy for his life's accomplishments (he published George Will, David Brooks, and Joan Didion) and represented a thought process that blossomed with Reagan and Maggie Thatcher. (Yes, I know about McCarthy, enough already.)

Goodbye, WFB, you will be sorely missed.

And then the new show that I was kinda interested in bombed: Quarterlife.

They are going to yank it before it airs its second show this Sunday. Boo. I'll have to get the episodes off Netflix in a few months or years. I thought it was more realistic than Gossip Girl, which is turning into a blathering infestation on the CW. And I love the CW!

Okay, in better news, it's Thursday, things are going well, and I'm making some serious progress on my Q1 goals (corporate writing web site, editing web site overhaul, data entry work, essay class work) as well as researching a possible writing class for the next three months. I have had some serious luck with really good teachers, so I want to continue that trend.

Currently reading: The Martha Rules (Martha Stewart)
Currently listening to: Regina Spektor

No comments: