Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Whirling Dervish

Hubby is laughing at me on IM this morning as I try to describe what I think of both of our jobs right now. I thought we would have some cathartic quiet for the holidays, but instead, I think I'll just have to ignore it and come back on January 2 ready to go!

At least hubby's company provided a brand new Blackberry. Yeah!

In the latest news around here, I'm on my final to-do list before the office goes on hiatus and I'm so happy. Trying to schedule everything else for after January 2. It's working! I am so ready to sleep in past 8 and to stay up all night reading or watching movies if I want (I mean I can now, but it doesn't help me get my work done to do that right now).

Everyone's talking about their favorite things at Christmas and mine are (in no particular order)

1. The look of Christmas lights. I like to keep the house dark just as it's turning dusk and then sit entranced by the Christmas lights. It makes me feel all warm and cozy.

2. Finding the silliest stocking stuffers for hubby, like this year's change jar that reads out the total to you in a computer voice. Hahaha. "You now have a dollar thirty-five."

3. Rifling through the drawers and boxes of movies to pilfer the best ones and the annual ones (Santa Clause movies, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Narnia, Love Actually, White Christmas, Holiday Inn, It's A Wonderful Life, and countless others. Even Bill Moyers' The Power of Myth is on my pile this year. And cranking the Christmas tunes and reading Christmas books. Oh this is great.

4. Christmas baking and cooking. Something about a warm sweater and Christmas socks in the kitchen preparing holiday food. I love it. Reminds me of Gram's house.

5. The littered house after unwrapping presents. I love the crunch and clutter of wrapping paper and ribbons and presents stacked precariously on couch cushions. I love the mess of it all.

In the midst of the mess, I'm writing and reading (new Joyce Carol Oates journals are here!) and relaxing.

All's left is tomorrow's Friday Fiver and this blog closes down for the holidays (except for breaking news).

Currently reading: Valiant (Holly Black)
Currently listening to: Celine Dion Christmas

No comments: