Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Week Before Christmas

And my to-do lists are barely holding. I did really good yesterday and am well on my way to doing well today, but I'm losing faith.

I'm tired. Tired enough that my head feels as if it's not attached quite right and I get dizzy when I stand up too fast (so what's new). I'm just going through the motions now. After finishing the end of the year feed, jumping on my early conference call, making sure everyone was up to speed on the happenings from that conference call, and now looking forward to 2008, I just want to go back to bed.

But an email from my sister-in-law is gonna keep me moving this week. She's a single mom of three, works three jobs, and just finished her master's last weekend. She found out a few weeks ago that for another 10 grand and 10 more weeks, she could get another master's degree in a specialty that would guarantee her a better job at triple her current salary. And she could quit her dead-end jobs. And she starts January 7.

I got up thinking there was no way I was going to be able to slog through this week. I was losing sight of why exactly I was slogging through in the first place. What am I thinking? Becoming a novelist, getting a BA in English, a double MFA in fiction and narrative non-fiction? What?

It really doesn't require rocket science, just a few well-placed friends (and a sister-in-law) and I'm back to the races today, determined to resist Resistance and keep moving forward.

What in your life needs a kick in the butt? What do you need to get re-fired up about? What goals for 2008 are you determined to accomplish come hell or high water?

And another thing, when I realize how hard it is to stick to this path, I know I'm going the right way. Resistance comes head on when you are headed toward the right thing.

Keep moving forward!

Currently readin: Valiant (Holly Black)
Currently listening to: Killers new cd

No comments: