Thursday, November 29, 2007

Holiday Overload

So, how to avoid holiday overload? I am bowing out of gift exchanges this year. In the past I've done at least four or five with various groups of friends; this year, I'm out of all but the local neighbor white elephant exchange.

It is so easy to get carried away with celebrations and things and events and very good reasons, but I am aiming for a bit more quiet contemplation this year. I have enough.

I have a lot.

I think it's my writing buddy's novel project that has put me in this mood. She's writing about Rwanda and I started poking around on Google as a result.

Running water, basic hygiene, more than one set of clothes--all these are things we take for granted, but the rest of the world may not even have the luxury to have.

I'm not preaching, I'm just downsizing. I'm donating food, clothes, books, and household items to charity. I don't need another five gift exchange items to fill up an empty cupboard.

I'll be enjoying all the fuss and fuddle of the season, trying to make a small difference in the few lives I touch in empathy, by listening, but spending time.

Can't wait!

Currently reading: Tithe (Holly Black)
Currently playing: You Know I'm No Good (Amy Winehouse)

No comments: