Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter Eve.

No Friday Fiver today, we'll do that Monday in honor of this momentous occasion. It's not everyday the final installment of HP comes out.

Yes, I'm getting caught up in the HP frenzy. I'm so sorry. I read Michiko Kukatani's review featured in yesterday's Publisher's Lunch Daily and can't wait to get my hands on that book.

In the meantime, I loaded up on books by the historian Thomas Cahill from my friendly local library, saving 80 bucks, which is already in savings. (I read that if you save 80 bucks by not buying books, add 20 bucks to it and save that each month for 40 years you will have half a million dollars?) Yes, I'm strange, get used to it. Not that I'm a money freak, but I already pay taxes for the library here and it seems silly to continue buying every book. That said, I have already decided that a few of these books should probably be on my bookshelf permanently, but it can wait until we're settled in another house elsewhere (yes, we are still thinking of moving).

So yesterday afternoon after work, I was working on my two articles that are due Monday and reading Jack Hart's book on writing and was making some serious progress, when it struck me.

I'm a writer.

Not just in spirit only or because I have a writing assignment. These assignments are the first of many and that officially makes me a writer.

It was a great feeling. And I have to say it sure helps when editing for my job. I have such empathy for the authors of these monographs that we're working on. I don't want to hurt their words, which has always been the case, I so want to make them better.

My job and freelance work dovetail beautifully. It's a good thing.

Happy Friday! Long live the Order of the Phoenix.

No comments: