Friday, April 27, 2007

A writing plan.


I think I have a plan for my writing.

I am preparing to receive the 2006 and 2007 mp3 cd collections from the American Society of Journalists and Authors annual New York meetings and am re-listening to the 2005 mp3s. I'm working out a plan! Nothing major, nothing fancy. Just a simple way to start writing what means a lot to me and to prepare the way for my future plans.

It's a great relief to know that I don't have to have a plan just like the next writer. Although I do have a plan similar to writers that I admire. I just know I can't do EVERYTHING. I have to pick and choose.

This week, I've realized that I am trying to do too much in a day. I continually cram in more and more and I'm wearing myself out too quickly. There is a time for everything. I will probably continue to copyedit by day and write by night (contrary to my prednisone-induced announcement of yesterday; never make huge life decisions while on high-dose antibiotics, remember that) and I'm okay with it. As long as everything stays within their boundaries.

My first phase of the plan is to continue writing and publishing book reviews for multiple outlets, while finishing a book proposal or two, writing and shopping a novel or two, and preparing for the next phase, which I'll explain at a later date.

That does not sound too hard. And it's a direction, which gratifies me to no end. When I get too tired, I tend to run around without any attention span. I need to learn to finish well and to plan well and to execute well.

So that's my plan. I'm pleased with it, and relieved that I am headed somewhere at long last.

Do you have a plan? It does not have to be fancy or complicated. Just set down on paper what you'd like to accomplish and then find steps to accomplish that.

And above all, keep moving forward!

Happy weekend! I'm going to be reading and writing for the first part of my plan and hopefully I'll be back to normal health by Monday!

No comments: