Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Middle of the week again.



Yesterday was one of those days when I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Not a bad place to be, but frustrating, because I thought I needed to see more.

E. L. Doctorow once said that "writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."

I tend to forget this advice and want to gallop on ahead. Every time, I have to fall back to the last place I was, because that's the only thing I can see.

It's another form of Resistance as well. Resistance would do anything to keep you snarled up in confusion instead of moving forward with your plans.

So, last night, I fought back. With American Idol on in the background, I sat down and wrote a piece that needed to be finished. Proofed it, tested it, and then broadcast blasted it out to my email list. Resistance had to back down long enough for me to get it done. And now I've checked it off my to-do list and am on to the next thing. What a great feeling!

I encourage you to do that thing today that needs to be done with your writing, whether small or unimportant. It clears the path, and shines the light on even the next action to take.

No comments: