Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Writing Inspiration Wednesday

On the road traveling with hubby on his business trip, thus this post is late.

From Monica Wood's The Pocket Muse:

Cleverness is not wisdom.--Euripides
Listen to your elders. There comes a point in every draft when you have to examine a turn of phrase--maybe your favorite one, the one that occasioned the entire piece. Be honest: Does the smarty-pants phrasing illuminate something at the heart of the work, or are yolu just being a show-off, a smart aleck, a writer's writer? Be careful with these beloved phrases--sometimes we can't tell the difference between cleverness and wisdom.

I like that. A great reminder as I scribble away this week, making very slow progress on my WIP, but filling my notebooks as fast as I can scrawl. Who knows if it is good, but it feels great to let it out.

Playing on the iPod: Love Song (Sara Bareilles)

No comments: